Solid Waste & Recycling

Map of Convenience Site Locations


All sites are open 64 hours per week, on the following schedule:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday: 7 AM - 6 PM
 Wednesday: 2 PM - 6 PM
 Sunday:1 PM - 6 PM

Closed: Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and for inclement weather such as storms, hurricanes, or winter precipitation.

 Carteret County operates the 12 convenience sites shown above to collect solid waste from the residents living in the unincorporated areas of the county as well as collect recyclable materials from all citizens. There is no on-site charge to residents for the services offered at the convenience sites. If you are delivering solid waste directly to the Newport Transfer Station or the Regional Landfill at Tuscarora, their rates can be found at the following website:

 For information about convenience sites and the items they recycle, see table below: 

Questions?     Call:




Cedar Island



Hwy 101

South River

Mill Creek

Vashti Drive

Tom Mann Road

Hibbs Road
Ocean Hwy 24

W Firetower Rd Hwy 58

                                            *Oil collections include the used oil filter* 


  • NO Contractors or Commercial Waste Allowed
  • NO Trailers longer than 10 foot in length
  • NO Box trucks or trucks larger than a pickup truck
  • NO Hazardous Waste allowed
  • NO whole pallets, must be broken up and disposed of in C&D


Only accepted at the following sites

  • Hibbs Road convenience site – 800 Hibbs Road, Newport
  • Otway convenience site – 485 Harkers Island Road, Otway
  • West Firetower Road / Hwy 58 convenience site – 1250 West Firetower Road, Swansboro


  • Molded foam
  • Cellophane shrink wrap
  • Metal binders clips
  • Carbonized paper
  • Typewriter ribbons
  • Bubble wrap
  • Peanut packaging
  • Sticky tape
  • Adhesive labels
  • Tissue paper
  • Paper towels
  • Drink cups
  • Food scraps
  • Hardbound books,
  • Boil-in-bag pouches
  • Trash bags
  • Bread bags
  • Phone books (bounded by glue)
  • Foam egg cartons
  • Meat trays
  • CD's or CD boxes
  • Rubber hoses
  • Rubber tires
  • Paper back books
  • Plastic oil jugs,
  • Anti-freeze  jugs,
  • Hazardous waste container and material


  • Letter head forms
  • Bond stocks
  • Photocopy paper
  • Computer printouts
  • Writing paper
  • Drawing paper
  • Notepad paper
  • Sticky notes
  • Newspaper
  • Envelopes
  • Brochures
  • File folders
  • Business cards
  • Index sheets
  • Index cards
  • Invoices
  • Manila cards
  • Register tapes
  • Unwaxed cardboard
  • Juice boxes
  • Composite paperboard cans
  • Milk cartons
  • Milk jugs
  • Plastic beverage bottles
  • Detergent bottles
  • Cooking oil bottles
  • Yogurt, margarine, and cottage cheese containers
  • Cartons and trays from microwavable meals
  • Aluminum cans
  • Meal cans: soup, tuna, etc.
  • Phone books (not bounded by glue)
  • Glass bottles and jars


A mobile trailer is stationed at the three county recycling locations. Residents may take computer equipment, televisions, etc. to these drop off sites.

  • Central Processing Units (CPUs) and mainframes
  • Monitors
  • Cathode-ray tube (CRT) and flat screens
  • Telephones
  • Cell phones
  • Television systems
  • Fax machine
  • Office equipment
  • Printers
  • Copiers
  • Televisions
  • Rechargeable batteries
  • Electronic circuit boards and components
  • Stereo equipment
  • Games

Microwaves and small kitchen appliances such as toasters, coffee makers, blenders power hand tools, etc, ARE NOT considered electronics and should be placed in the metal recycle container if made of metal, or in the regular household trash container if made of any other material.


  • Propane Tanks
  • Cooking Oil
  • Gasoline
  • Diesel Fuel Products
  • Fluorescent bulbs
  • Paint - We will only accept latex paint during the month of April at the Hibbs Road and Otway Convenience sites.

ITEMS ACCEPTED AT OUR HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE DAY (Dates and times will be advertised in advance)

  • Grill tanks
  • Gasoline
  • Diesel Fuel
  • Fluorescent Bulbs
  • All Paints (Latex & Oil)
  • Paint thinner



  • Household furniture: couches, chairs, mattresses, box springs, cabinets, carpets, rugs, etc.
  • Household furniture (metal): Metal chairs and other metal items shall be placed in the white goods/metal recycle containers.


Only materials solely from remodeling or repairs associated with normal and personal housing maintenance of do it yourself jobs. Debris not to exceed one pickup truck load or 10 foot in length trailer load per site per day. Larger loads or multiple loads shall be taken across the scales at the CEP Transfer station at the owners expense.


This is classed as a solid waste consisting solely of vegetative matter such as leaves, pine straw, pine cones, grass clippings, and small limbs or bushes associated with personal residential yard maintenance. NO cut up tree debris more than 6 -inches in diameter or more than 6-foot long may be deposited at the Convenience Center. Any larger debris or tree trunk blocks must be taken across the scales at the CEP Transfer Station on Landfill Road. The Hibbs Road convenience site is our busiest site and is within one mile of the CEP Transfer Station Scales. If the SITE ATTENDANT deems the Yard Waste container at Hibbs Road is full enough that it will not hold your load, you will be issued a VOUCHER to take YARD WASTE ONLY across the CEP Transfer Station scales at no cost to the public.


Trailers used  by the  public for  hauling any and  all materials accepted shall be no longer than 10 foot in length, single or double axle, and the amount of the load should not be more than 2-cubic yards in any one load, one load per site, per day. Trailers larger than allowed at the Convenience Site will be directed to the CEP Transfer Station for disposal.

TIRES (no rims)

  • Hibbs Road convenience site – 800 Hibbs Road, Newport
  • Otway convenience site – 485 Harkers Island Road, Otway
  • West Firetower Road / Hwy 58 convenience site – 1250 West Firetower Road, Swansboro


So you have a boat that won’t float. What do you do with it? Well, you can take it to the Tuscarora Landfill. Simply pull up on the scales, let them get a weight, take it to the dumping site, drop it off, go back to the scales, let them get an empty weight, pay and exit. The charge is $40 per ton, the same as solid waste. If you want to dispose of your motor, please make sure it is free of fluids as they are banned from landfills. They also take trailers, campers, RV’s, jet skis, and motorcycles.

As an alternative, Carteret Community College has a program that will assist you getting rid of aquatic vehicles. They accept donations of boats, jet skis, yachts, cars, RVs, trailers, motorcycle, vans, boat motors, boating equipment, fishing gear, kayaks and much more. For more information on the Boat Donation and Resale Program call Wes Daniels at 252-222-6222.


ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT can be recycled at the Hibbs Road, Otway and Fire Tower Road Highway sites. The following items are accepted: 

Desktop Computers



Fax Machines & Copiers


MP3 Players

Printers & Ink Cartridges

Keyboard & Mouse


Telephones & Cell Phones

Camcorders & Cameras


Small Home Appliances

VCR & DVD Players


Music Systems & Speakers

Gaming Consoles


Cables and Cords


CRT Monitors


Household Hazardous Waste Collection


When: Saturday, October 21, 2023 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Where: Carteret County Health Department, 3820 Bridges Street, Morehead City, NC

For more information, contact Somer Peede, Outreach Coordinator, at, or (252) 633-1564

Latex Paint Collection - Month of April

Hibbs Road & Otway Sites

Remember to buy less toxic and non-aerosol paint. Paints can contain chemicals such as solvents and metals that can damage the environment, especially our water supplies, and endanger human health if not disposed of properly. Purchasing latex paint is best and some stores even sell recycled paint.

Residents can bring both latex and oil-based paint to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection. If you have only a small amount of latex paint to dispose of you can safely dry the paint out at home by removing the lid and allowing the contents to aerate. Accelerate the drying process by stirring kitty litter or sand into the open can of paint. Once latex paint is thoroughly dried, residents can dispose of the cans, with the lids removed, in the regular trash.