Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)
Low Income Household Water Assistance Program Now Available
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services announced the State of North Carolina has been awarded more than $38 million in federal funding to establish a new water assistance program for households affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Eligible households that have had their water services cut off or have received notice that their water services are in danger of being cut off can apply for assistance in paying their bill through a new federal program called the Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP).
LIHWAP is a temporary emergency program that will help eligible households and families afford water and wastewater services. The program provides a one-time payment for eligible low-income households directly to the utility company. LIHWAP runs through September 2023 or until the funds run out.
All other households that have had their water services disconnected or are in danger of losing it can apply starting Dec. 1, 2021, online at www.epass.nc.gov. Individuals can also apply by printing a paper application from www.epass.nc.gov and dropping it off at or faxing it to the Department of Social Services office or by calling our office to apply by phone.
Beginning Jan. 3, 2022, all households that are not in danger of having their water service cut off can apply for assistance if they meet the eligibility requirements.
LIHWAP Qualifying Household Criteria
- Household must have at least one U.S. citizen or non-citizen and;
- Currently receive Food and Nutrition Services (FNS), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Work First services, or those that received Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) services between Oct. 1, 2020, and Sept. 30, 2021
- Have income equal to or less than 150% of the federal poverty level,
- Have household services that are disconnected, in jeopardy of disconnection or have a current outstanding bill, and
- Be responsible for the water bill
Households can apply starting Wednesday through Sept. 30, 2023, or until funds are exhausted.
For more information on this program and eligibility, visit the LIHWAP website or call the Social Services office at (252) 728-3181.