The purpose of Environmental Health is to provide a public health approach to prevention and control of environmental contaminants and disease while making Carteret County a healthier place to live by limiting the spread of disease through diverse environmental health programs and providing protection from potential illness through the regulation of environmental factors that may threaten the public's health.
Environmental Health services include:
- Permitting, inspection, and approval of onsite wastewater systems, and private drinking water wells.
- Compliance inspections of permitted wastewater systems
- Permitting, inspection, and grading of regulated food and lodging establishments. Establishments that are regulated include:
- Motels / hotels
- Food stands
- Child Care Centers
- Public Swimming Pools
- Tattoo Parlors
- Investigation of foodborne illness outbreaks
- Investigations concerning elevated blood lead levels in children
- Investigation of public health nuisance complaints
- Water sampling and testing
The Environmental Health Section of the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Public Health provides technical guidance and delegation of authority.